Strong & happy LGBT+ adoptive & foster families

Log in

Is it the right time

For you to adopt / foster?

Securely donate with card or PaypalAs a charity ...

Your donations drive change

Frequently Asked Qs

Some quick answers 

Public Articles

Public features, articles & news

  • 7 Jan 2020 13:34 | Anonymous member (Administrator)

    March is soon upon is and our LGBT+ adoption and fostering week is being planed.  Here's what we are doing for 2020 and why. LGBT+ adopters and foster carers are making real differences to children's lives. We here about some wonderful stories. Let us share the latest one with you.

  • 3 Jan 2020 15:04 | Anonymous member (Administrator)

    Jump to:

    Help for LGBT+ adopters & foster carers

    Help for adoption & foster care agencies

    Help for LGBT+ adopters & foster carers

    Benefits of joining New Family Social

    New Family Social is the UK’s peer support network for adopters and foster carers who are LGBT+. Our secure online forums are a great way to seek support and advice from others in the same situation as you. And with our members spread across the UK, there’s a wealth of events held across the country – some for all the family and some where the adults can blow off steam together. You can post anonymously, share stories or just vent to others who understand!

    Our memberships for LGBT+ people are structured in three levels. Our Bronze members can access free-of-charge our tools for finding information sessions and agencies that welcome and support LGBT+ applicants. Silver members can participate in our member forums, attend members events open to that level of membership and view exclusive web content. Gold members can use our forums, attend all events and reach out to other members through our members' directory. There's also a family-finding service open to Gold members if they reach that part of the journey.

    Find out more about joining New Family Social as an LGBT+ member.

    Help for adoption & fostering agencies

    Benefits of joining New Family Social

    An agency membership means that all of your confirmed LGBT+ adopters and foster carers are entitled to free individual memberships of New Family Social, for as long as your agency maintains its agency subscription. There’s no maximum cap on the number of LGBT+ adopters/foster carers this applies to. And your existing LGBT+ adopters and foster carers can join for free as well.

    An agency membership also includes:

    • Access to our free family-finding service. Agencies can circulate profiles of children they are family-finding for, direct to LGBT+ adopters who’ve been approved for family-finding.
    • Free promotion of your recruitment events through New Family Social’s social media channels.
    • Ability to list sessions on New Family Social’s recruitment events calendar.
    • Inclusion on New Family Social’s agency finder, the listing of LGBT+-friendly agencies across the UK.
    • Access to New Family Social’s training courses.
    • Priority access to New Family Social’s campaigns.
    • You can submit articles for publication on the NFS website.
    • There’s assistance with filling panel vacancies in your area.

    Complete this form to find out more about joining New Family Social as a member agency.

  • 3 Jan 2020 11:12 | Anonymous member (Administrator)

    Jump to:

    Family finding: information for our LGBT+ members

    Family finding: information for staff in our adoption/fostering member agencies

    Information for our LGBT+ members

    If you’re one of our LGBT+ adopter members – and you’ve reached the family-finding stage – then this service may be the one that helps you find your forever family. The service lists children’s profiles submitted to New Family Social by our member agencies that are keen to reach as many potential parents for a possible match for each child. These profiles are accompanied with contact details for the child’s social worker so our members can approach them directly for consideration.

    How do I access the service?

    To be eligible to access the service you need to

    • Be a New Family Social LGBT+ adopter member at Gold Level
    • Be at the family-finding stage of your adoption journey (confirmed by your social worker).

    If you meet both of these criteria then please contact us using this form.

    What will New Family Social do?

    For child protection reasons we will contact your social worker to verify that you are currently family-finding. Once confirmed we will give you access to the family-finding service, with children’s profiles appearing among the most recent postings in your forum list. You can refine the list by selecting the ‘Family Finding’ thread.

    Information for staff in our adoption/fostering member agencies

    Our agency members can directly promote the profiles of children they’re family-finding for to LGBT+ approved adopters and foster carers. Only our LGBT+ members who’ve been confirmed as family-finding have access to submitted profiles.

    To submit profiles to the service, login to our site with your Orange Professional login, go to the "My Agency" page, and the scroll down until you reach the Family Finding service and follow the instructions.

    You can select whether you want us to reach out to other agencies or our LGBT+ approved members.  

  • 2 Jan 2020 11:17 | Anonymous member (Administrator)

    Equality legislation in the UK means that it's now illegal for adoption and fostering agencies to refuse to work with you because of your sexual orientation. Similarly, your gender identity should not be used as a reason to accept you as a potential adopter or foster carer.

    Because there's an ongoing shortage of both potential adopters and foster carers it's highly unusual for LGBT+ people to share with us stories of discrimination they've experienced when applying to adopt or foster.

    Living with HIV, or prior experience of mental health issues don't prevent you from adopting or fostering either. You will need to show that you'll have the energy and health to parent a child, but neither of these instances automatically prevent you from applying to adopt or foster. Similarly there's no upper age limit to either process, just the need to show that you can provide the parenting and care to see your child into adulthood, or for as long as it's anticipated you need to foster them for.

    For more information on the requirements to adopt read this summary by First4Adoption.

    For more information on the requirements to foster read this information by the Fostering Network.

  • 2 Jan 2020 09:11 | Anonymous member (Administrator)

    Whether you provide respite care or a long-term placement all foster carers need support. The level of support a fostering agency will provide to you will vary by agency, so we strongly recommend that you explore your options with both your local authority service, independent agencies and those run by the voluntary sector. This will help you identify the agency best suited to you, the type of fostering you want to provide and the level of support you're likely to need.

    Fostering in the UK is a devolved matter, so check out the links below for your specific country.

    If you're fostering in England you can also read  Fostering Services: National Minimum Standards published by the Department for Education. Skip to page 44 for the support foster carers should expect.

    In Scotland there's a wealth of legislation and guidance you can turn to, which is handily listed online by the Fostering Network.

    For legislation and guidance in Wales, check out this list compiled by the Fostering Network.

    In Northern Ireland you can read this information compiled by the Department of Health.

  • 1 Jan 2020 15:32 | Anonymous member (Administrator)

    Skip to:

    Regional collaboratives

    Education support

    Housing support

    Regional collaboratives & local authorities

    In Wales the local authority adoption services work together in ‘regional collaboratives’. Some of these will be your first point of contact for adoption support. They will undertake an assessment of your adoption support needs.

    In other regions it will be local authority teams that undertake this assessment.

    If you adopted through a voluntary adoption agency you could also approach that agency to discuss the post adoption support services they may be able to offer.

    You can find out more on the National Adoption Service website.

    Education support

    If you feel your child needs extra support as a result of their adoption, you have the right to have an assessment of adoption support needs. If you think your child might have special educational needs you can ask your local authority to assess these needs too.

    Schools are asked to give all children adopted from care priority access. This means that your adopted child should be able to attend the school you think best meets their needs. Find out more about school admissions online.

    There is also funding within the local education consortia to help your child’s school understand and meet any additional needs of your child. This is through the Pupil Deprivation Grant. 

    Housing support for adopters in Wales

    Adopters may have priority for council housing. If you live in council housing and claim Housing Benefit or Universal Credit while waiting for a child to move in you can also apply for funding (Discretionary Housing Payments) so that you are not penalized financially while you have an empty spare room. Find out more on the website.

    Find out more about the support available generally to adopters in Wales from the National Adoption Service.

  • 1 Jan 2020 15:03 | Anonymous member (Administrator)

    Skip to:

    Education support

    Source legislation

    Education support for adopters in Scotland

    Looked after children have the same rights to extra support in school as other children. All children who are looked after are automatically assumed to have additional support needs – unless they’re assessed and it’s decided they don’t have additional support needs at that time.

    However, they may still need extra support later to cope with disruptions or upset caused by leaving a foster family, moving home or changing school. The child’s local authority must consider whether a looked after child needs a coordinated support plan.

    Education, social work and staff from other agencies should work together to assess and plan the support a looked after child needs. Local authorities should have detailed policies in place on the education of looked after children to makes sure this happens. The child should be involved in planning their support and have a say in decisions about what they will learn at school and the support they need.

    If a child is looked after, their home authority has responsibility for their education even if they are:

    • placed in accommodation in another local authority and attending a school in that authority
    • placed in a school in another local authority, for example, because school provision that meets their needs is available there.

    For more information visit Enquire – the Scottish advice service for additional support for learning.

    Read More: Additional support for learning: A guide for parents or carers of looked after children, Enquire

    Support for two year old children

    Some two-year-olds – including those who are looked after –are entitled to 600 hours a year of early learning and childcare.

    Looked after children up to the age of three

    Your local authority should also provide additional support for two-year-old looked after children receiving their funded hours of early learning and childcare

    School-age children

    Your local authority must identify whether your child has additional support needs and give them the appropriate support if they:

    • attend or are registered with a school run by your authority
    • receive education in another local authority school under arrangements made by your own authority
    • have been placed at an independent special school or grant-aided school by your authority.

    Your local authority must provide your child with ‘adequate and efficient’ additional support so that they can benefit fully from their education. The term ‘adequate and efficient’ is taken from the Education (Scotland) Act 1980. The Act focuses on individual provision directed at every child.

    Find out more – The parents’ guide to additional support for learning, Enquire

    Source legislation on adoption support

    The Adoption Support Services and Allowances (Scotland) Regulations 2009

    The Adoption Support Services and Allowances (Scotland) Regulations 2009: Circumstances in which adoption allowances may be paid

  • 1 Jan 2020 14:17 | Anonymous member (Administrator)

    This page outlines the support adopters in England can access.

    Skip to

    Education support

    Housing support

    Adoption leave & pay

    Adoption support plans

    Prior to applying for an adoption order, an adoption support plan is drawn up between the adoptive parents and social workers. The plan outlines the support the child is expected to need in the future and how the adoptive parents will access it. As it can be more difficult to access support once the adoption order is made – with responsibility ceasing to be shared between the adoptive parents and the state, to only being the adopters’ responsibility – many New Family Social members find it useful to delay applying for an adoption order until they feel their concerns and requests for support are fully reflected in the adoption support plan.

    Where do I get support from?

    Your local authority can advise you on possible adoption support services that may be available to you.

    The local authority that places the child with you is responsible for assessing your adoption support needs for three years after the adoption order. After three years it becomes the responsibility of the local authority where you live, if they are different.

    If the child has lived with you for more than three years then contact your local authority to find out what support services might be available in your area. Each local authority has an adviser responsible for the services provided by that local authority. The adoption support team in your local authority is legally obliged to assess the needs of you and your child – and will consider with you what services could be of help.

    If you adopt through a voluntary adoption agency you can approach it to discuss what post-adoption support services it provides that may help you. If necessary, your agency could help you approach your local authority if appropriate.

    For more information visit First4Adoption.

    Adoption Support Fund

    This is funding for essential therapy services for adoptive families, as and when they need it. There's also separate funding for essential assessments that can be accessed if it is recognised that one is needed in order to better target needed therapy services - which some members find useful as this bypasses the local CAMHS (Child & Adolescent Mental Health Services) provision and isn't subject to the same waiting list, which can be a matter of years. Find out more on First4Adoption.

    Education support for English adopters

    Pupil Premium

    This is funding – £1,900 per pupil – to help education providers give extra support to all children adopted from care to help them reach their potential. Visit First4Adoption for more information on how to help your child’s school access Pupil Premium.

    Early Years Pupil Premium: Pre-school support funding

    This is additional funding for early years pre-school settings to improve the education they provide for disadvantaged 3- and 4 year-olds including – but not restricted to – those adopted from care.

    The funding goes directly to registered early years providers – including pre-schools, nurseries and childminders – that offer children free early education entitlement. Find out more on the First4Adoption website.

    Priority access to school places

    Adopted children living in England have priority access to schools, so that their parents have the greatest chance to gain a place in the school that most meets their child’s needs. Find out more on

    Free education and childcare for 2-year-olds

    A child can get free early education and childcare if they’re looked after by a local council or have left care under a special guardianship order, child arrangements order or adoption order. Find out more on

    Housing support for adopters in England

    Priority housing for approved adopters

    Approved adopters may be entitled to priority access to council housing . This depends on the adopter’s individual Local Authority housing policy. Make enquiries with the Housing Department in your local authority to establish what their policy is. Find out more from First4Adoption.

    Discretionary housing payments

    If you live in council housing and claim Housing Benefit or Universal Credit while waiting for a child to move in you can also apply for Discretionary Housing Payments so that you’re not penalised financially while you have an empty spare room. Find out more on

    Adoption leave and pay

    Employed adopters are usually entitled to adoption leave and may be entitled to adoption pay, which is a legal right if you meet the criteria. Certain employers offer a more generous scheme than the statutory one, but no employer can offer less than the statutory amounts.

    Read First4Adoption for a handy summary of the rules and entitlements for adopters arranging adoption leave and pay.

    'To make sure that staff who adopt are treated as equally as staff who need time off for antenatal appointments, you can get paid time off work to attend five adoption appointments after you’ve been matched with a child. You will qualify for this paid time off if you qualify for statutory adoption leave. Your pay for these appointments should be at your normal salary rate and the time off shouldn’t be deducted from your adoption leave.

    'If you don’t qualify for statutory adoption leave because your partner will take it – only one person in a couple can take adoption leave – you can still take time off work to attend two adoption appointments. The time off for these two appointments will be unpaid – unless your employer chooses to offer them as paid time off – to mirror the situation with a pregnant couple, where the pregnant woman’s partner is entitled to unpaid leave for two antenatal appointments.'

  • 1 Jan 2020 14:12 | Anonymous member (Administrator)

    There's different support available for adopters depending on which country you are assessed in and adopt from.

    Pick your country!







    Northern Ireland

  • 5 Dec 2019 12:05 | Anonymous member (Administrator)
    • 490 adoptions to same-sex couples in 2019

    • 1 in 7 adoptions now to same-sex couples in England


    One in seven adoptions in England were to same-sex couples in 2019, statistics released today (5 December) by the Department for Education reveal. 490 adoptions were to same-sex couples in England in 2018/19, the highest ever number in a single year raising the previous record from 450.

    The total number of adoptions in England in 2019 fell to 3,570, the fourth consecutive year-on-year decline since 2015.  The number of children looked after in England rose by 4 per cent to 78,150 at 31 March 2019.

    Tor Docherty, chief executive of New Family Social said: ‘It’s fantastic to see the increasing number of children finding their new forever families in England with LGBT+ people. In every adoption case the needs of the child must be paramount and today’s figures show that a number of agencies now work hard to consider a broader range of potential parents. However, there are still thousands of children in care whose lives could be transformed by an LGBT+ adopter or foster carer.’

    Of the 490 adoptions, 240 were to married same-sex couples, 100 to couples in a civil partnership and 150 to same-sex couples not married or in a civil partnership. The statistics do not include the sexual orientation or gender identity of single adopters, bisexual people not in a same-sex relationship or trans people – unless they are part of a same-sex couple.

Search entire site

Call us on: 0203 880 2683

Out-of-hours media enquiry : 07867 595 554

Harvey's Barn

Park End

Swaffham Bulbeck

CB25 0NA

© Copyright 2007 - 2020   |   A charity registered in England and Wales. Registered charity number 1138340 Company limited by guarantee   |   Registered in England number 7140510   |   All Rights Reserved   |  Terms & Conditions