Seeking NFS Trustee Nominations
At the New Family Social AGM on Saturday 2nd December, we will be running trustee elections and we are looking for nominations from our membership. Here’s what you need to know about trustee elections.
Trustees Stepping Down and the Election of Trustees
NFS is a company and a charity. The company directors are also the trustees of the charity. We currently have vacancies for trustees and they will be elected through the following process.
- Seeking nominations – Nominations are open now and the deadline is Monday 20 November at 09:00. Once all the nominations are in we will have a Q&A thread on the message board so NFS members can ask the candidates questions. Candidates will post their answers on the thread. We will open voting at the same time.
- Voting – Voting will open on 20 November 2017 and members will be sent an email containing details of how to vote online. The poll will close on Monday 27 November 09:00. We will then inform the existing trustees of the results. The names of the new trustees will be announced at the AGM where they will be formally elected.
- Existing directors resigning by rotation – The memorandum and articles (the document containing New Family Social’s rules) requires that at each annual general meeting one-third of the directors must retire from office but can stand for re-election.
Who can stand as a director?
Members who are LGBT current or prospective adopters or foster carers, or members who have been fostered or adopted by anyone who identifies as LGBT and supports the objectives of the charity. For more information on eligibility please read ‘Who Can Be A Trustee’ on the gov.uk website.
How do I nominate somebody to stand as a director?
We will need to be contacted via email from the member making the nomination giving the name of the person they wish to nominate, as well as an email from the person nominated outlining the details required if they wish to stand. These details are listed below.
The person standing will need to be aware that they are being nominated as a trustee of the charity and a director of the company. As such they will have a legal responsibility that links them to Companies House and Charities Commission. Find out more about the legal responsibilities on the gov.uk website.
If you’re thinking of standing, here is what you will need to know…
- You will need an NFS member to nominate you by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- You then need to email Tor at the same address giving your name, the name of the person who nominated you, a biography of around 100 words about yourself which will be published on the website and, if you are happy to provide one, a photograph of yourself which will be published on the website.