New Family Social is non-political, however we do encourage systemic and policy changes that can improve fairness and wellbeing for our members and their families.
Our work in this area includes:
- pushing for changes to UK passport application forms, to recognise LGBT headed families (change effective from 2012)
- pushing to stop the practice of children’s profiles arbitrarily specifying heterosexual parents (policy adopted by Be My Parent in 2010)
- assisting the Human Rights Commission of Northern Ireland in effecting law change to allow same-sex couples to adopt (case continues)
- assisting the Charity Commission in preventing faith-based agencies arbitrarily narrowing the range of parents available for children (case continues)
- providing clarity to agencies in appropriately handling the wishes of birth parents, where those wishes may be discriminatory.